show

Torcello Cathedral

 140,00

Description

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta) is a basilica church on the island of Torcello, Venice, northern Italy. It is a notable example of Venetian-Byzantine architecture, one of the most ancient religious edifices in the Veneto, and containing the earliest mosaics in the area of Venice.

According to an ancient inscription, it was founded by the exarch Isaac of Ravenna in 639, when Torcello was still a rival to the young nearby settlement at Venice.
The first of two major renovations occurred in 864 under the direction of Bishop Adeodatus II. The final renovation was consecrated under Bishop Orso Orseolo, whose father Pietro Orseolo II was the Doge of Venice at the time, in 1008.

The most important artistic element of the cathedral is the mosaics, the earliest remaining mosaics in the neighbourhood of Venice.

Technique: pencil + watercolor

Painted on 300 gr. Fabriano “Artistico” paper.
Paper size: 8.8 x 7.3 inches

Sold unframed